Monday, August 19, 2013

Ruins of Conimbriga - PORTUGAL

Last week, on my way to Aveiro, I've made a small detour to (re)visit the Roman ruins of Coimbra - my last visit was probably 20 years ago and, probably because I've just read the Conn Iggulden first Emperor book, I decided to return there. The infrastructures are much better (a wonderful museum, restaurant and gift shop) and the ruins of the city remain quite impressive. The postcard shows the tile floor of the main house. Very hot under August sun, but it's worthwhile - I truly recommend. This postcard took 5 days to arrive!

House of the Fountains - Ruins of CONIMBRIGA
 
Conimbriga, one of Europe's great Roman archaeological finds and one of the best preserved in the Iberian peninsula, is located only 16 kilometers from Coimbra. It was first a Celtic settlement in the Iron Age, but was occupied by the Romans in the 1st century A.D., who turned it into a prosperous city. It was destroyed during the barbarian invasions, when the Suevi attacked in 468 A.D.


No comments:

Post a Comment