Friday, August 09, 2013

Pechersk Lavra, Kiev - UKRAINE - UNESCO #527

When I returned home after my vacations I found my mailbox filled with postcards: 9 official , 22 direct swaps and 29 postcards I've sent to myself during the trip! I can,'t tell the exact day they arrived, so I'll post them all with today's date... lets start with the officials. This card arrived from Kiev and it shows one of the 7 wonders of Ukraine, Pechersk Lavra. Thanks a lot Liliia for choosing a UNESCO card (I already have one from Saint-Sophia, now this site became more coplete). The counting remains at 100.

UNESCO #527 - The Pecherk Lavra, Kiev - UKRAINE

The Pechersk Lavra in Kiev boasts very ancient origins and rapidly became the seat of a community governed by the abbot St Theodosius. With the support of the Princes of Kiev, the monastery immediately began to prosper. Devastated by the Mongols and the Tatars, Lavra was almost entirely rebuilt in the 17th century and afterward. The spiritual and intellectual influence of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra contributed to the spread of Orthodox thought and the Orthodox faith in the Russian world from the 17th to the 19th century.



No comments:

Post a Comment