Tuesday, August 13, 2013

City of Palenque, Chiapas - MEXICO - UNESCO #411

What a nice surprise this postcard was. I've arranged a three card direct swap with Ale from Guatemala - she went on holidays to Mexico and I've said to her "Have fun and don't forget to send me a card from there!"... and she did! Thank you very much Ale, I really wasn't expecting it and I loved your card - Mayan cities are awesome. This is my 125th UNESCO site, only 856 to the end.  This postcard took 20 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #411 - Ruins of Palenque (El Palacio), Chiapas - MEXICO
 
A prime example of a Mayan sanctuary of the classical period, The Pre-Hispanic City of Palenque was at its height between AD 500 and 700, when its influence extended throughout the basin of the Usumacinta River. The elegance and craftsmanship of the buildings, as well as the lightness of the sculpted reliefs with their Mayan mythological themes, attest to the creative genius of this civilization.
 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment