Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Lavaux Vineyards - SWITZERLAND - UNESCO #1243

Today I've got two cards from Óscar and Daniela, the Portuguese postcrossers (UNESCO collectors as well) that live and work in Switzerland. The Berne card and this one that shows the village of St. Saphorin in the heart of the Lavaux Vineyards (astonishing beautiful place) - I remember driving the scenic route on my way to Vevey, but I didn't had the chance to try the wine... Thanks a lot guys for remembering me and for making my collection grow to 138, only 843 to the end. This postcard took 8 days to arrive!

UNESCO #1243 - St.Saphorin, Lavaux Vineyards - SWITZERLAND
 
The Lavaux Vineyard Terraces, stretching for about 30 km along the south-facing northern shores of Lake Geneva from the Chateau de Chillon to the eastern outskirts of Lausanne in the Vaud region, cover the lower slopes of the mountainside between the villages and the lake. Although there is some evidence that vines were grown in the area in Roman times, the present vine terraces can be traced back to the 11th century, when Benedictine and Cistercian monasteries controlled the area.

 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment