Sunday, August 11, 2013

Kizhi Pogost - RUSSIA - UNESCO #544

Evgenia is one of the first postcrossers I've sent a card back in April, the thing is delivery in Russia sometimes take lots of time and that card took almost forever to arrive (I sent a second one two month later). She decided to thank me by sending this amazing wood constructed church in the Medvezhjegorskij Region for my UNESCO collection. Thanks a lot Evgenia, I really love this card and if rises my collection to 116, 865 to the end.

UNESCO #544 - Kizhi Pogost - RUSSIA
 
The pogost of Kizhi (i.e. the Kizhi enclosure) is located on one of the many islands in Lake Onega, in Karelia. Two 18th-century wooden churches, and an octagonal clock tower, also in wood and built in 1862, can be seen there. These unusual constructions, in which carpenters created a bold visionary architecture, perpetuate an ancient model of parish space and are in harmony with the surrounding landscape.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment