Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Khajuraho - INDIA - UNESCO #240

With this card I've reached the benchmark of 300 postcards since I've joined POSTCROSSING almost 5 months ago - to be honest I wasn't expecting to become so addicted to this new hobby, but I must say it's really an amazing upgrade in my daily life. Enough chit-chat, let's look to this amazing postcard that came all the way from India showing in detail one of the many tantric sex statues carved on the walls on the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple, one of the Khajuraho group of monuments listed by UNESCO. Thank you very much George, this position looks exciting and amusing, but I bet I would break my back if I tried it! My collection rises to 139, 842 more and I'm done. This postcard took 12 days to arrive!

UNESCO #240 - Kandariya Mahadeva Temple, Khajuraho - INDIA
 
The temples at Khajuraho were built during the Chandella dynasty, which reached its apogee between 950 and 1050. Only about 20 temples remain; they fall into three distinct groups and belong to two different religions – Hinduism and Jainism. They strike a perfect balance between architecture and sculpture. The Temple of Kandariya is decorated with a profusion of sculptures that are among the greatest masterpieces of Indian art.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment