Friday, August 16, 2013

Historic Town of Vigan - PHILIPPINES - UNESCO #502

Th Town of Vigan was founded by the Spanish almost 500 years after discovering the maritime route from Europe to that archipelago, but let's not forget it was a Portuguese that was leading the squad (Magalhães and not Magellan). Ok, after this patriotic statement, I should say I was very happy when I saw this postcard in my mailbox because now I have another country complete in my list. Thank you very much Cristina, now I own all the Philippines UNESCO sites. The new numbers are 130 down, 851 to go. This postcard took 9 days to arrive!

UNESCO #502 -Historic Town of Vigan - PHILIPPINES
 
Established in the 16th century, Vigan is the best-preserved example of a planned Spanish colonial town in Asia. Its architecture reflects the coming together of cultural elements from elsewhere in the Philippines, from China and from Europe, resulting in a culture and townscape that have no parallel anywhere in East and South-East Asia.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment