Thursday, August 15, 2013

Canal ring area of Amsterdam - NETHERLANDS - UNESCO #1349

Amsterdam is one of my favorite places and one of the few big-cities I imagine myself living (along with Barcelona and perhaps London). This card shows the Keizersgracht, the second of the three major 17th century canals that allowed the growth of Amsterdam. Thanks a lot Ischa I've been in the Netherlands 2 weeks ago and I thought of mail a postcard of the canals to myself, but I didn't went to Amsterdam and so decided not to - I only send cards to myself from the exact spot! Ok now, in terms of UNESCO cards, 126 down, 855 to go. This postcard took 3 days to arrive!

UNESCO #1349 - Keizersgracht Canal in Amsterdam - NETHERLANDS
 
The historic urban ensemble of the canal district of Amsterdam was a project for a new ‘port city’ built at the end of the 16th and beginning of the 17th centuries. It comprises a network of canals to the west and south of the historic old town and the medieval port that encircled the old town and was accompanied by the repositioning inland of the city’s fortified boundaries, the Singelgracht. This was a long-term programme that involved extending the city by draining the swampland, using a system of canals in concentric arcs and filling in the intermediate spaces.



No comments:

Post a Comment