Saturday, August 10, 2013

Antwerpen - BELGIUM - UNESCO #943

Antwerpen has one of the most beautiful historic centers I know. In this card you can see the amazing Cathedral of Our Lady, the Guild-houses in the main square and the magnificent City Hall. Nearby you have several interesting buildings, a Castle by the river and lots of other things to see - one day is definitely to short to cover everything, I must return here (maybe when I can afford to buy some diamonds). This is my first postcard of the UNESCO site "Belfries of Belgium and France" that consist of 56 different places (I wonder if I ever will be able to collect all!) it his my 115th site, 866 to go!

UNESCO #943 - Antwerpen Historic Center (Multi-View) - BELGIUM
 
Twenty-three belfries in the north of France and the belfry of Gembloux in Belgium were inscribed as a group, an extension to the 32 Belgian belfries inscribed in 1999 as Belfries of Flanders and Wallonia. Built between the 11th and 17th centuries, they showcase the Roman, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque styles of architecture. They are highly significant tokens of the winning of civil liberties. While Italian, German and English towns mainly opted to build town halls, in part of north-western Europe, greater emphasis was placed on building belfries. 



No comments:

Post a Comment