Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans-UKRAINE-UNESCO#1330

Another  great card from Ukraine, now with the bonus of a matching stamp (one of this days I think I'll start scanning the stamps of my postcards to - some of them are just amazing!). This architectural ensemble (I must confess that I've never heard of it) seems quite impressive and now they're part of a University; must be wonderful to have classes in this king of buildings. Thank you very much Sergii for this great swap - let's do the maths, with this 4 cards I now have 95 sites, only 896 to finish my collection! This postcard took 15 days to arrive!
 
UNESCO #1330 - Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans-
 
The Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans represents an outstanding example of 19th-century historicist architecture and is dominated by the domed, cruciform Seminary Church with a garden and park. The complex expresses architectural and cultural influences from the Byzantine period onward and embodies the powerful presence of the Orthodox Church during Habsburg rule, reflecting the Austro-Hungarian Empire policy of religious tolerance.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment