Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Prambanan Temple Compounds - INDONESIA - UNESCO #642

This is the second card Jennifer sent me -  another temple, this time Hindu, in central Java near Borobudur (it's possible to visit both in the same day... I really wish I could go). This place seems amazing - thank you very much Jennifer for your help in my collection and showing me such wonderful places. With this one I now have 79 UNESCO sites, only 902 to the end! This postcard took 21 days to arrive!

UNESCO #642 - Prambanan - INDONESIA
 
Built in the 10th century, this is the largest temple compound dedicated to Shiva in Indonesia. Rising above the centre of the last of these concentric squares are three temples decorated with reliefs illustrating the epic of the Ramayana, dedicated to the three great Hindu divinities (Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma) and three temples dedicated to the animals who serve them. The temples collapsed due to earthquake, volcanic eruption and a shift of political power in the early 11th century, and they were rediscovered in the 17th century. 



No comments:

Post a Comment