Monday, July 15, 2013

Laurisilva of Madeira - PORTUGAL - UNESCO #934

Today I've got the last two cards my good friend Alberto sent me from Madeira Island on the last days of June (they probably came swimming instead of flying). Both show some amazing pictures of the unique Laurisilva forest - the waterfall in the first one is called "Véu da Noiva" (Bride's Veil). Thanks a lot Betinho, I asked for one and you sent me four! This postcard took 20 days to arrive!

UNESCO #934 - Laurisilva, Madeira - PORTUGAL

UNESCO #934 - Laurisilva of Madeira (Levadas) - PORTUGAL


The Laurisilva of Madeira is an outstanding relict of a previously widespread laurel forest type. It is the largest surviving area of laurel forest and is believed to be 90% primary forest. It contains a unique suite of plants and animals, including many endemic species such as the Madeiran long-toed pigeon.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment