Friday, July 05, 2013

Angra do Heroismo Marina, Azores - PORTUGAL - UNESCO #206

This postcard of the beautiful harbor of Angra do Heroismo (Terceira island, Azores archipelago) is  the 15th UNESCO site in Portugal - that's right, I now have postcards of all the WHS in Portugal! As I've said before, the Azores islands are for me not less than heaven on earth - simply amazing and astonishing beautiful. Thanks a lot Joana for helping me fulfilling this goal. I now have 74 sites, only 907 to finish. This postcard took 4 days to arrive!

UNESCO #206 - Angra do Heroismo Marina, Azores - PORTUGAL
 
Situated on one of the islands in the Azores archipelago, this was an obligatory port of call from the 15th century until the advent of the steamship in the 19th century. The 400-year-old San Sebastião and San João Baptista fortifications are unique examples of military architecture. Damaged by an earthquake in 1980, Angra is now fully restored.



No comments:

Post a Comment