Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Tongariro National Park - NEW ZEALAND - UNESCO #421

The New Zealand islands are situated in the antipodes of Portugal (if I dug a hole in the ground, theoretically I could end there) and since I visited their exhibition in '92 Expo in Seville it became one of my dream destinations (recently the Lord of the Rings movies increased that dream). Until I win the lottery to afford that trip I rely on the web and postcards to keep the dream in my mind - many thanks Sue for my first New Zealand card, a amazing UNESCO site that increases my count up to 39 and the countdown now starts at only 923. This postcard took 9 days to arrive!

UNESCO #421 - Tongariro National Park - NEW ZEALAND

In 1993 Tongariro became the first property to be inscribed on the World Heritage List under the revised criteria describing cultural landscapes. The mountains at the heart of the park have cultural and religious significance for the Maori people and symbolize the spiritual links between this community and its environment. The park has active and extinct volcanoes, a diverse range of ecosystems and some spectacular landscapes.



No comments:

Post a Comment