Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Stonehenge - ENGLAND - UNESCO #373

This is my 100th postcard! In just a couple of month I've received one hundred cards from thirty countries - I'm very happy with my new hobby and looking forward for the next hundred or even thousand cards. This one is from one of my favorite sites on earth - since I was a young boy that Stonehenge has been a mysterious and mystical place that attracted me and when I finally went there it felt like a dream come true (specially at sunset... it's really magical). Thanks a lot Adam for swapping this card with me. Now I have 52 UNESCO sites, only 910 to the end. This postcard took 5 days to arrive!  

UNESCO #373 - Stonehenge, Wiltshire - ENGLAND
 
Stonehenge and Avebury, in Wiltshire, are among the most famous groups of megaliths in the world. The two sanctuaries consist of circles of menhirs arranged in a pattern whose astronomical significance is still being explored. These holy places and the nearby Neolithic sites are an incomparable testimony to prehistoric times. Stonehenge is one of the most impressive prehistoric megalithic monuments in the world on account of the sheer size of its megaliths, the sophistication of its concentric plan and architectural design, the shaping of the stones, uniquely using both Wiltshire Sarsen sandstone and Pembroke Bluestone, and the precision with which it was built.



No comments:

Post a Comment