Monday, June 24, 2013

Historic Centre of Sighişoara - ROMANIA - UNESCO #902

The city of Sighişoara was one of my favorite places when I visited Transylvania in 2008 (I've stayed with my wife in a haunted hotel - we kept remembering Polanski's movie "The Fearless Vampire Killers" all night). Superstitions apart, it is a truly amazing city in a wonderful region of Europe. This card was sent to me by Janiek - thank you very much, now I have 62, only 919 to the end. This postcard took 19 days to arrive!

UNESCO #902 - Historic Centre of Sighişoara, Transylvania - ROMANIA
 
Founded by German craftsmen and merchants known as the Saxons of Transylvania, Sighişoara is a fine example of a small, fortified medieval town which played an important strategic and commercial role on the fringes of central Europe for several centuries. The historic centre of Sighişoara is composed of a fortified site spread over a steeply sloping plateau and dominated by City Hill, and the Lower Town with its woody slopes lying below. These two sectors form an indissociable group corresponding to the historic boundaries of the medieval town.



No comments:

Post a Comment