Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Würzburg - GERMANY - UNESCO #169

Another official card - 2 days in a row, thing are starting to get going!... This postcard came from Germany and I'm thankful that Agis picked a UNESCO site card - well, maybe it was just plain luck because she lives there, but I prefer to think it was on purpose. I've never heard of Würzburg before, but after reading about it on the UNESCO webpage, I'm really curious about it - this another advantage of POSTCROSSING, you get to know about places you didn't dream that exist... well, now I've got 6 sites, only 956 to complete my collection! This postcard took 6 days to arrive! 

UNESCO #169 - Würzburg Residence with the Court Gardens - GERMANY

This magnificent Baroque palace – one of the largest and most beautiful in Germany and surrounded by wonderful gardens – was created under the patronage of the prince-bishops Lothar Franz and Friedrich Carl von Schönborn. It was built and decorated in the 18th century by an international team of architects, painters (including Tiepolo), sculptors and stucco-workers, led by Balthasar Neumann.



No comments:

Post a Comment