Friday, May 10, 2013

Sintra - PORTUGAL - UNESCO #723

What an amazing coincidence - yesterday I've got a surprise card from some friends from the POSTCROSSING Forum... today you can imagine my astonishment when I open the mailbox and find another Sintra postcard, this time sent by students of one of my classes that went there on a field trip last Friday - I've told them about my new hobby some weeks ago and they remembered me and decide to make a surprise: a postcard signed by all the class. Sintra is definitely a very romantic place! A new UNESCO postcard, but from a place I already have... my first repeated site, hooray! So the counting remains, 9 down, 953 to go. This postcard took 7 days to arrive!

UNESCO #723 - Cultural Landscape of Sintra (Pena Palace) - PORTUGAL


In the 19th century Sintra became the first centre of European Romantic architecture. Ferdinand II turned a ruined monastery into a castle where this new sensitivity was displayed in the use of Gothic, Egyptian, Moorish and Renaissance elements and in the creation of a park blending local and exotic species of trees. Other fine dwellings, built along the same lines in the surrounding serra , created a unique combination of parks and gardens which influenced the development of landscape architecture throughout Europe.


1 comment:

  1. RickyHanson says Sintra, Portugal is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete