Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Monastery of Batalha - PORTUGAL - UNESCO #264

My mother (safely returned of her cruise) wrote me a very nice card from Batalha, one of the most beautiful gothic buildings I know and a place we used to visit a lot when I was a young boy (my father loved small weekend road trips - and I inherited his addiction). Thank you very much for remembering mom... this is my 22th UNESCO site postcard, 940 more and I'm done. This postcard took 4 days to arrive!

UNESCO #264 - Monastery of Batalha - PORTUGAL
 
The Monastery of the Dominicans of Batalha was built to commemorate the victory of the Portuguese over the Castilians at the battle of Aljubarrota in 1385. It was to be the Portuguese monarchy's main building project for the next two centuries. Here a highly original, national Gothic style evolved, profoundly influenced by Manueline art, as demonstrated by its masterpiece, the Royal Cloister.



No comments:

Post a Comment