Monday, May 27, 2013

Castle of Pombal - PORTUGAL

I love castles and all the medieval related subjects since I was a young boy - for now I'm centered in the UNESCO collection, but soon I'll start gathering postcads with castles from around the world (mainly Europe of course)...  all over Portugal there are magnificent castles and this card shows one of my favorites in POMBAL sent from Pombal by my friend Zé that I've met in the POSTCROSSING official forum - thanks a lot! This postcard took 4 days to arrive!

Castle of Pombal - PORTUGAL

 The Pombal Castle was built by the Grand Master of the Knights Templar in the second half of the 12th century. Gualdim Pais (1118-1195) was in fact the founder of Pombal and was also responsible for the building or restoration of the castles of Almourol, Idanha, Ceres and Monsanto. The well preserved castle remains dominate the town; these include the keep, the mullioned window to the governor’s palace and parts of the parade ground military buildings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment