Monday, April 29, 2013

Ohrid - MACEDONIA - UNESCO #99

My first postcard from a POSTCROSSING user!!! Believe me it's was an amazing feeling to open the mailbox and see this little fella looking at me... this was my first successful direct swap in the POSTCROSSING forum, I'm sure many others will follow! Thanks Anita for showing me a place that I didn't know (but I really wish to visit now) and engross my UNESCO colection... 2 down, 960 to go ! This postcard took 9 days to arrive!


UNESCO #99 - Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid region - MACEDONIA

Situated on the shores of Lake Ohrid, the town of Ohrid is one of the oldest human settlements in Europe. Built mainly between the 7th and 19th centuries, it has the oldest Slav monastery (St Pantelejmon) and more than 800 Byzantine-style icons dating from the 11th to the end of the 14th century. After those of the Tretiakov Gallery in Moscow, this is considered to be the most important collection of icons in the world.


1 comment:

  1. This card is very familiar to me... :D

    Your blog looks beautiful, Congratulations! Wish you to collect many Unesco cards in the near future. :)

    ReplyDelete