Friday, April 19, 2013

Convent of Christ - Tomar - PORTUGAL - UNESCO #265

Ok, some of you will consider it cheating, because I've send this one to myself, but as I said before, that's an old habit I have and will maintain it... when visiting a new city, monument or country I usually send a postcard to myself. This is the first time I've done it from Portugal, but it won't be the last, specially from UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITES now that I'm starting a UNESCO collection... 1 down, 961 to go! This postcard took 2 days to arrive!

UNESCO #265 - Convent of Christ in Tomar - PORTUGAL

Originally designed as a monument symbolizing the Reconquest, the Convent of the Knights Templar of Tomar (transferred in 1344 to the Knights of the Order of Christ) came to symbolize just the opposite during the Manueline period – the opening up of Portugal to other civilizations. 

1 comment: